Pedestrian and bicycle safety
- OECD Keeping Children Safe in Traffic Report by the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development draws on best practices and research results to show how child casualties can be reduced. Free executive summary. $45 for full report.
- League of American Bicyclists Bicycle safety and bicycle maintenance education for bicyclists of all levels and ages. Information on how to find Bicycle Education courses taught by League Certified Instructors.
- Safe Kids Walking and bicycling safety tips for parents to teach children.
- Bicyclinginfo Tools and resources for improving bicycle safety including education and enforcement, bicycle parking and a bikeability checklist.
- Walkinginfo Tools and resources for improving pedestrian safety including education and enforcement, pedestrian safety plans, a walkability checklist and crash data.
- American Academy of Pediatrics "About Bicycle Helmets" brochure Describes why children need helmets and how to select one.
- Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute Information about states with helmet laws; studies on bicycle helmet use; and a list of bicycle helmet videos.
- Consumer Product Safety Commission recalls and standards Search on "bike helmets" for benefits of wearing helmets and product recall announcements.
- FHWA Bicycle Safety Education Resource Database Searchable database by audience, riding skill level and bicycling topic.
- FHWA Good Practices Guide for Bicycle Safety Education For program developers or those seeking an existing bicycle safety education program.
- NHTSA: "Ride Smart, It's Time to Start" Video for middle-school students that promotes bicycle helmet use.
- NHTSA: "Be Smart, Bicycle Safe" Bicycle safety video and materials for elementary school children in English and Spanish.
- Florida DOT and University of Florida, Pedestrian & Bicycling Safety Resource Center Resources and information about walking and bicycling for all ages and levels of expertise.
- Hawaii Bicycling League BicycleEd Hawaii Program For 4th grade students in public schools, offers classroom and on-bike instruction with a focus on comprehension of street patterns and acceptable street behavior.
- North Carolina DOT Division of Bicycle and Pedestrian Transportation and the Bicycle Federation of America (now the National Center for Bicycling and Walking), Basics of Bicycling Curriculum Bicycle safety and on-bike handling skills for elementary school children in North Carolina.
- Bicycle Coalition of Maine Bicycle/Pedestrian Safety Education Program A 30–50 minute presentation on bicycle and pedestrian safety, adaptable for various grade levels.
- Bicycle Transportation Alliance Bicycle Safety Program Hands-on bicycle safety courses for 4th–7th grade children in Oregon.
- Texas Bicycle Coalition Texas SafeCyclist Curriculum to certify elementary health and physical education teachers to teach 4th and 5th grade students the basics of traffic safety, with emphasis on bicycle riders as vehicle operators.
- NHTSA Safe Routes to School Toolkit, Classroom Activities Designed to assist parents and school personnel with initiating and implementing SRTS programs and includes information for developing pedestrian and bicycle safety curricula and lessons and how to integrate safety education messages into other academic subjects.
- Marin County Bicycle Coalition Safe Routes to School Program Lesson plans on physical fitness, healthy lifestyles and the environment.
- Active and Safe Routes to School Canada, Resource Guide Kindergarten through high school hands-on learning activities covering safety, health and the environment.
- For more free pedestrian and bicyclist safety education curricula available online go to: http://www.walktoschool.org/resources/safety-education.cfm.
Health and environment